Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Birthdays

Oh dear, I was 48 yesterday, and that's nearly 50 (and almost certainly past half-dead)!

How did that happen? I'm sure I was only in my 30's a while back. And I was only 40 recently! It's so true what they say about time going faster as you get older.

It's a shame that only in the last few years have I really begun to understand myself; what makes me tick, how I work, how my mind works. And I'm still learning. I wish that I'd had the knowledge that I have now back in my 20's because I would change a lot. But then I wouldn't be who I am now, and although I know I have many faults, many 'issues', I generally pretty happy with who I am, where I am and the way I live my life. So perhaps I wouldn't change anything. I do still, however, need to work on 'balance'!

The older I get, the more I realise that life is a journey. The route, the company, the experience is more important than the end point. I like to refer back to one of my favourite songs 'Happiness is the Road' by Marillion, which I know I've mentioned on here previously. I've edited the lyrics a little:

"The greatest blessing that we have
Is the dawn of each new day
A chance to finish what we started
And made a mess of yesterday
As day comes out of night
A chance to get it right
A chance to start again
A chance to get it right
.........

You're focussing on all of your bad yesterdays
The worry lines are getting deeper every day
And deep inside you
No surprise - there's a crisis!
You might have been to blame
But you can't go on this way
Must I watch and pray?

While you torture yourself with what's behind you
Torture yourself with what awaits you
Draggin' that guilt and regret inside you
Anxious of the goals that always evade you

Your mind will find a way to be unkind to you somehow
But all we really have is happening to us right now
.........

Look around you
Feel your soul inside you
Look inside you
Feel the life course through you
The life that's giving In every thing that's living
The plants and the trees
The birds and the bees
And apes like you and me
.........

Happiness ain't at the end of the road
Happiness IS the road

HAPPINESS IS THE ROAD"

There's so much I still want to do - places to visit, hills to climb, rivers to cross, things to see and do. 

Better get dressed!

2 comments:

Ultras and a lttle bit more said... [Reply to comment]

Richard- you'll always be younger than me!52 on 29th!!! Plus , surely it's just a number. If we act young can't we pretend and con people. True bits take longer to mend etc but nobosy else knows that....

Richard Lendon said... [Reply to comment]

@Ultras and a lttle bit more
It's definitely just a number - it just gets bigger quicker!! I try and con people but the mirror shows a face much older than mine!! Anyway, I'm always pretending!!

Post a Comment